Applying to take the Examination
Applicants must complete the application form that may be downloaded from this site in a portable document format (pdf) version. A complete Application Package should be mailed or sent to the Rm. 1208, 12th floor, Medical Arts Building, St. Luke’s Medical Center, 32nd St., Bonifacio Global City, Taguig City, on or before the specified postmark deadline date to be eligible for review by the Credentials Committee.
(Click the highlighted application form to download the file)
Please complete the Examination Application carefully, legibly, and accurately. The information provided in the application, and all required accompanying documents, will be used by the PBPM to determine eligibility to sit for the examination.
1. The Applicant must have unrestricted license to practice Medicine in the Philippines, as demonstrated by a current or updated PRC license.
2. The Applicant must hold a current and valid board certification in any of the following primary medical specialties: Anesthesiology, Neurology, Psychiatry, Rehabilitation Medicine, Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Rheumatology, Medical Oncology, Pediatrics, Neurosurgery, and Orthopedic Surgery.
3. The Applicant must submit documentation of fellowship training in Pain Medicine of at least twenty-four (24) months duration in a recognized training institution.
4. The Applicant who has undergone one year fellowship training in Pain Medicine in any recognized overseas training program must complete additional twelve (12) months fellowship training in any recognized local pain management center.
5. The Applicant must be engaged in the clinical practice of Pain Medicine on a substantial basis for the past twenty-four (24) months from the date of submission of application for the PBPM Certification Examination.
6. The Applicant must have completed a minimum of fifty (50) Continuing Medical Education (CME) units relevant to Pain Medicine from any accredited CME provider within the past 24 months. Time in a Pain Medicine fellowship training program can be counted toward the CME requirement if the fellowship training was successfully completed within 24 months to the date of application.
7. The Applicant must submit at least two (2) letters of recommendation/ character references that will attest to the current nature and scope of the applicant’s practice in Pain Medicine and adherence to ethical and professional standards. These recommendations may be obtained from physicians who:
a. Practice Pain Medicine within the Applicant’s clinic/department/facility
b. Practice outside of the Applicant’s clinic/department/facility
c. Were Training Officers/Department Chair or Center head of the pain management
facility during the Applicant’s fellowship training in Pain Medicine
8. The Applicant must be a member in good standing of the:
a. Philippine Medical Association (PMA)
b. Primary specialty society in the Philippines
c. Pain Society of the Philippines (PSP)
d. International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP).
The application package should contain:
1. Checklist of documents and forms submitted (to be checked and signed by the Applicant and the PBPM executive secretary)
2. Completed Application form with valid email address and telephone/mobile number
3. Two (2) recent (within the past 3 months from the date of submission) passport sized
photographs with the applicant’s signature in ink at the bottom front
4. Photocopy of current and valid PRC ID card
5. Certified true copy of board certification in primary medical specialty
6. Certified true copy of certificate of completion of fellowship training in Pain Medicine with the exact duration of training indicated in the certificate
7. Photocopy of certificates of attendance in Pain Medicine-related CME activities within the past 24 months
8. Two (2) letters of recommendation as specified in the section on Eligibility Requirements
9. Certification of membership in good standing of the PMA, primary specialty society in the Philippines, PSP and the IASP
The complete Application Package should be mailed and the examination fee should be paid at the bank account given by the PBPM Secretariat* at the:
*for further clarifications, send a mail to email@example.com